China Know-How 2018: Course A
"China Know-How": Modern China Studies for Scientists and Economists in Shanghai and Beijing at the prestigious universities Peking University and Fudan University from Aug. 17 till Sept. 15, 2018
Prerequisites for participation
To be eligible to apply, you are
● a student or scientist from an Austrian university, university of applied sciences, or another
institution of higher education in Austria
● a student or scientist from another European university or another European higher education
● an employee preferably of an international company or a company which wants to go international, an
employee planning to gain further training or change the job, a self-employed person, or an
and you have
● a good command of the English language
Targets of the program
● know-how regarding eastern Asia, especially China
● acquisition of additional qualifications useful for a potential future career in Asia
● preparing for future trading markets by becoming acquainted with the legal and economic system, labor
and production processes, and living conditions in China
● obtaining a basic command of the Chinese language
● Modules in English on the following topics: economics, politics, law, environment, culture, language
and intercultural communication
● lectures and discussions conducted by experts, visits to Austrian and international joint venture
● end-of-program exam, with possible accreditation of some courses (depending on home institution)
Beijing: students will be accomodated in the five star hotel "Swissôtel Beijing"
Shanghai: students will be accomodated in the four star "Grand Mercure Baolong Hotel Shanghai", close to the Fudan University
Costs (without airfare and visa fees)
The costs are approx. € 2.900 and include the full program fees of the Chinese universities and for the accompanying program, the accommodation in 4 a and 5 star hotels, a train ride between Shanghai and Beijing, the organisation fee as well as a small reserve for unforeseen events and currency fluctuations.
Please be aware that the amount of € 2.900 represents a guiding price. The exact price depends on the currency exchange rate at the time of payments.
In addition, the flight costs and the visa fee will arise (see below). Also, a travel insurance is strongly recommended and shall be effected if no cover exists.
Flight and Airfare
The flight reservation has to be made by oneself. Each participant can choose the airline, the routing and the booking date himself / herself. Meeting site will be at the Swissotel in the Lobby at August 19. The booking shall be made soon after the confirmation of participation by the organizer (but not earlier) as airfair would be still more favourable.
Visa and visa fees
A Chinese visa for at least 31 days of stay, single entry, is necessary for participation in the summer school. For Austrians or students living in Austria, the competent Chinese consulate is situated in Vienna and can be obtained with the help of the organizer in the course of June. For other participants, the application for the Chinese visa must be made to the local Chinese consulate with jurisdiction over the place of residence in the home country.
The visa fee for single entry normally amounts to € 60.
Course A will be conducted in one or two groups (depending on the number of participants). You can state your preferences on who you would like to be grouped with in the application form. Please be advised that we will try – but cannot promise – to accommodate your wishes.
Group A1 (Beijing)-Shanghai: Aug. 17 - September 15, 2018
For more detailed information on the course please find below the programs of 2009, 2010, and 2011.